Manufacturer Notes: Robinson Clay Products CompanyThe Robinsons, who had been potters for generations, came to Akron in 1856 from Staffordshire, England, stopping first at the pottery center of East Liverpool, Ohio. They were Henry, Thomas and William Robinson, and two brothers-in-law, James Manton and Richard Whitmore, also of Staffordshire. As Whitmore Robinson they began to manufacture Rockingham yellow ware that same year, expanded into sewer pipes and other lines as Robinson Brothers in 1879, and finally as the $3,000,000 Robinson Clay Products company in 1902. They played an important part in the city's business life for many years.
Allen, Hugh; Rubber's Home Town The Real-Life Story of Akron (New York, Stratford House, 1949)
In 1900 the clay products business shifted around toward a more solid and substantial form of organization. Whitmore, Robinson and Co. merged with the E. H. Merrill Co. as the Robinson, Merrill Co. Two years later this was changed to the Robinson Clay Product Co. The American Sewer Pipe Co. had meantime absorbed a great many of the smaller plants. These two companies became the principal clay manufactories.
Go To North American Soda & Beers Home